Going out to the club for the night for a fun time is an activity many young people like to do. They might want to go to a bar for drinks or go dancing to loud music and bright lights. This could seem like a safe and fun time. Except that drugs are prevalent in the club scene.
Many people who go out are looking to take the edge off. The edge of work expectation or school struggles or just life in general. So they turn to drugs.
It can seem easy at first, without any issues. They only use when going out so it’s safe right? They aren’t addicted. But club drugs aren’t safe, no drugs are. They can lead to many issues the main one being an addiction.
Addiction is when one needs to use a drug regardless of its effects on the body.
Types Of Drugs And Their Effects
Club drugs are popular because they can help someone let loose. They’re meant to be feeling good with bursts of euphoria or energy.
Common club drugs and their effects include:
- Ecstasy. This is one of the most popular drugs. It can make people feel comfortable and connected. It makes fake feelings of empathy. The effects can last three to six hours. It’s easy to become dehydrated especially when used with alcohol. People can become addicted quickly.
- increase enjoyment of dancing
- distort perceptions
- increased energy
- muscle cramping
- increased body temperature
- GHB. This is a sedative that slows down the central nervous system. It can bring feelings of euphoria. If used with alcohol can be very dangerous. Lasts about four hours. It is meant for relaxation.
- Ketamine. This was supposed to be used as an anesthetic for veterinarians. It stopped being used so often for humans because of bad side effects. It is dissociative, so people who use it don’t feel like themselves. They could feel separate from their body.
- distortion of sight and sounds
- LSD. This drug was very popular back in the 60s and 70s with the hippie generation. It has made a huge comeback, especially in clubs. It can enhance the experience. It distorts space and time and light. It can cause hallucinations and panic attacks. It can last for twelve hours. It can also make people do dangerous things they wouldn’t otherwise do.
- dry mouth
- dilated pupils
- Methamphetamine. This particular drug is a stimulant. This means the high is euphoric in nature. It gets people going and feeling wired. The high can last ten hours. It makes a user feel more energized. But it can cause them to be addicted quickly and negatively affect their body.
- irregular heartbeat
- slovenly appearance
- damaged teeth
- Rohypnol. This drug is in the same class as Valium and Xanax. It is actually ten times stronger than Valium. People don’t really take it as much as give it to other people. It is considered a date rape drug which means it is used to take advantage of other people.
- visual disturbance
All of these drugs come with unpleasant side effects. Especially after long use. They’re popular because they seem like short term drugs, but they aren’t. No drug is short term because the possibility for addiction is there.
Club drugs can have extraordinarily negative effects. They can cause brain problems and physical issues. They can also lead to overdosing and death. What seems like a fun time can end very badly.